Units from the Alexandria and Arlington Fire Departments responded to reports of a fire on Wesmond Drive on Sunday, June 14 around 7 p.m. The first units to arrive reported a heavy fire from the basement of 151 Wesmond Drive.
Fire Marshals determined the cause of the fire to be ignited gas fumes from an open gasoline container located near a gas hot water heater. Multiple people reported hearing an explosion from the basement area of the house.
One female resident suffered non-life threatening burns and was taken to Washington Hospital Centers MedStar unit. No other residents sustained injuries.
The adjacent townhomes were also exposed to the fire, causing an estimated $317,000 in damage.
The Red Cross relocated five of the residents, and the remaining displaced residents will stay with friends and family.