Emergency News — 23 June 2011

Lightening struck the chimney of a three-story home on Park Road, setting the gas fireplace ablaze and causing an estimated $300,000 in damages Thursday evening. 

Alexandria and Arlington fire departments responded to the call just after midnight. They arrived to find heavy smoke and fire on all three floors of the house, said Robert Rodriguez, Alexandria Fire Department spokesman, in a statement.

The homes sole resident escaped the blaze after being alerted by smoke detectors, Rodriguez said. 

Although firefighters were able to snuff out the fire quickly, it took them several more hours to thoroughly inspect the house for smoldering remains, Rodriguez said. Investigators determined the fire began in the chimney and spread through interior wall space down to the lower levels of the home.

Related Articles

Share

About Author

Alexandria Times Staff

(0) Readers Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*