A home just south of West Windsor Avenue and likely constructed in the 1920s became the site of two private schools in the mid-20th century. The property included several lots and a two-story brick building with a gable and hip roof, full basement and open porch.
In 1939, Malcolm B. Devers and his wife, Evelyn, established the Congressional School of Arlington. By the late-1940s, another campus had opened on the West Windsor property. A.W. Jones Jr. served as headmaster of the Congressional School of Alexandria, which had lower grades and a nursery program called Tiny Tots. To the west of the house, a classroom building replaced a garage. In the late 1950s, the Congressional Schools began working on a new facility in Falls Church, and in 1960 the Devers sold the West Windsor property to another school.
The Suburban School Inc., run by the Wallaces, operated throughout the 1960s and into the mid-1970s, when this photo was taken. In its early years, it employed 16 people and served 125 students, including preschoolers in its Busy Bee nursery. By the fall of 1962, it provided instruction through sixth grade, and during the summer, its day camp offered swimming, horseback riding, crafts and sports.
After the Suburban School closed, the property was conveyed to Mildred and Lester Wallace in 1976. It was then subdivided and redeveloped as the Windsor Oaks community. The school buildings were demolished in 1977 but today would have been located between the west side of Richards Lane and the east end of Malcolm Place, which was not named for the co-founder of the Congressional Schools but Malcolm Matheson Jr., an earlier developer.
Out of the Attic is provided by the Office of Historic Alexandria.