Archive for 'History'

Out of the Attic: The ‘megastructure’ at Northern Virginia Community College

Out of the Attic: The ‘megastructure’ at Northern Virginia Community College

Established in 1964, Northern Virginia Technical College opened in autumn of 1965 in a warehouse at Bailey’s Crossroads. The following year, the school was renamed Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC or NOVA, colloquially). Over the next [...]

City marks Washington’s birthday

City marks Washington’s birthday

British redcoats and German mercenaries squared off against a mix of colonial militia and Virginia infantry on the grassy slopes of Fort Ward Park Sunday, part of the weekend long birthday celebrations for the city’s most [...]

Out of the Attic: Where’s the beef? On the corner of Cameron and Henry.

Out of the Attic: Where’s the beef? On the corner of Cameron and Henry.

Armour and Company, a slaughterhouse and meat packing business established in Chicago in the 1860s, had an operation in Alexandria at the beginning of the 20thcentury. By 1909, the Armour facility at the corner of King [...]

Out of the Attic: The Swann-Daingerfield mansion on Prince Street

Out of the Attic: The Swann-Daingerfield mansion on Prince Street

Around 1802, Thomas Swann, a prominent Alexandria attorney who also served as the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia, built a two-story house at the southeast corner of Prince and South Columbus streets. The [...]

Remembering slavery in a city built on bondage

Remembering slavery in a city built on bondage

As Alexandria continues to explore and tout its rich Civil War history during the sesquicentennial, historians say the role of free blacks, slaves and slavery won’t be forgotten. The Port City remains well known as home [...]

Out of the Attic: Before a private residence, 415 Prince St. headquartered a wartime government

Out of the Attic: Before a private residence, 415 Prince St. headquartered a wartime government

Constructed around 1806, the Bank of Potomac building at 415 Prince St. appeared on bank notes that may have been the earliest visual print of any structure in Alexandria. The illustration shows that three and one-half-story [...]

Out of the Attic: Before CVS and Diversions – Fairlington Centre in 1950

Out of the Attic: Before CVS and Diversions – Fairlington Centre in 1950

Between 1942 and 1944, the Defense Homes Corporation financed construction of more than 3,400 housing units to comprise the new Fairlington community, located in Arlington, to accommodate defense workers and their families. This development followed the [...]

Out of the Attic: Stale beer: Alexandria’s sudsy history

Out of the Attic: Stale beer: Alexandria’s sudsy history

Before Port City Brewing, Alexandria was home to several breweries, including Shuter’s Hill Brewery established in the mid-19th century in what was then known as the West End. In 1858, Alexander Strausz and John Klein leased a [...]

Out of the Attic: The Hugo Black House

Out of the Attic: The Hugo Black House

Around 1800, Thomas Vowell, Jr., a prominent Alexandria merchant, built a new home along what was then called Water Street. It later became South Lee Street. The brick house was on the west side of the [...]

Out of the Attic: Meigs Lodge and the Alexandria National Cemetery

Out of the Attic: Meigs Lodge and the Alexandria National Cemetery

In 1862 President Abraham Lincoln authorized the acquisition of property to be used as burial grounds for the Civil War dead, establishing the country’s first national cemeteries. One of the earliest was Alexandria National Cemetery, opened [...]