Archive for 'History'
The three-story home at 617 South Washington St. was built around 1854 for Reuben Roberts, who died a short time later. An ad announcing the sale of the home at auction in 1856 described it as [...]
This pawn shop was one of several along King Street during the mid-20th century, but the pawn business got its start centuries earlier when people in need of money received loans in exchange for a pledge or [...]
During the first days of Alexandria’s Civil War occupation, the Union established a presence on Shuter’s Hill, where the Masonic temple currently stands. This location was not only desirable because of its height but because of [...]
A home just south of West Windsor Avenue and likely constructed in the 1920s became the site of two private schools in the mid-20th century. The property included several lots and a two-story brick building with [...]
In the 1930s, the Alexandria Amusement Corporation operated two movie theaters on King Street: the Richmond and the Ingomar. [...]
During the Civil War, thousands of Union soldiers came into Alexandria, some remaining for assignments locally but most passing through on their way to other destinations. [...]