Farrell withdraws From Ireton


Junior guard Javorn Farrell has withdrawn from Bishop Ireton and will be transferring to Riverdale Baptist.  Farrell played at the varsity level since his freshman year and was named to the all-Washington Catholic Athletic Conference team as both a freshman and sophomore. He was rated as the 43rd best player in the Class of 2010 by Rivals.com. Farrell averaged around 20 points per game last season as a sophomore and was one of the few bright spots on a team that won just one conference game all season.

Bishop Ireton athletics director Bill Simmons as well as Ireton head coach Mark Vincent both declined to comment on the situation.

Rumblings around the team were that Farrell had not always given 100 percent, which led to the start of his departurehis removal from the starting lineup. However, Farrell flatly denied the idea that he did not give it 100 percent.
I think that I can take over a game most of the time, Farrell said. I really wanted to get my teammates involved. Its hard. I had a supporting cast and sometimes they wouldnt shoot. I wanted to pass the ball and get them involved. I wanted to get them involved and not look like a ball hog.

Farrell was initially pulled from the starting lineup against Montrose Christian on December 12th. A week later Farrell was asked by coach Vincent to take a leave of absence after multiple rumors swirled about the juniors future.

He(Coach Vincent) wanted to have a meeting with my mother the Monday after we played Montrose, Farrell said. My mother couldnt make it, and she said she could meet him on Tuesday. Coach then told her he would make the decision for her and suspended me.

Farrell missed his first game on December 20th when the Cardinals were defeated on the road by Georgetown Prep. While Farrell was not in uniform, he continued to attend games as a fan in the stands, not on the bench, to support the team during his initial suspension, which lasted three games.

I wasnt forced to come to the game, Farrell said. I was told that I wasnt supposed to be on the bench, so I came to games to support my team.

Farrell then returned to the team on December 27th when Ireton lost Hayfield in the Mount Vernon Invitational Tournament. In that game, Farrell scored nine points, before getting a double technical and was ejectedthats when Farrell and his family were forced into a decision.

I was going to come back after that suspension, but coach had a meeting with my parents over the phone and told me I was suspended indefinitely. Coach was basically flirting with my career, Farrell said. I decided I had to move on.

It wasnt just Javorn Farrells decision, though, it was a family decision. The Farrells researched the situation and the proper action Ireton should have taken following the ejection.

Normally if there is an ejection, and I checked with the commissioner, this was a Christmas tournament, and it would have been one game if anything, Ingrid Farrell, Javorns mother said. It would have been a tournament game; it was not even a conference game. But he was suspended indefinitely with no communication for two weeks; we just had to move on. For two weeks we didnt know what was going on, there was no communication with the coach. He was ejected from a game then there was no communication for two weeks, which led to the decision. We couldnt just sit around and wait to hear from the head coach.

Farrells departure marks the approaching end of the Chuck Driesell era at Ireton. Farrell was one of the few remaining pieces that Driesell had put in place before moving on to become an assistant coach at the University of Maryland.