This streetcar along Four Mile Run operated on the Washington, Alexandria & Mt. Vernon Railway, which opened in 1892. The streetcar circuit used to connect the region, traveling through Arlington, Northwest D.C. and even along Commonwealth Avenue and into Old Town. As part of a nationwide trend, Alexandria is looking to the past at streetcar transit, a form of transportation that was buried by the automobile industry beginning in the 1930s, to help solve congestion and environmental problems. This particular line was destrouyed in 1932 to make room for the George Washington Memorial Parkway.