The 44th New York Volunteer Infantry was stationed in Alexandria from January 24 to April 29, 1864, during the Union occupation. The 44ths camp was at Shuters Hill, the present day site of the George Washington Masonic Memorial. According to the regimental history published in 1911, The grounds were spacious and the camp was laid out with great regularitya beautiful arch was created at the foot of each street. All the arches except the central arch were of similar design and construction, elaborately and beautifully trimmed with evergreens, and the letter of the Company suspended from the center of the arch.
Courtesy of The Office of Historic Alexandria