Out of the Attic

0
479
Out of the Attic
Facebooktwittermail

The mid-century development at the most northern end of Mount Vernon Avenue included a gas station, dry cleaners, bank and the Do-Nut Dinette, a small breakfast diner. 

The Do-Nut Dinette in Arlandria was not the first in Alexandria. In early 1952, a Do-Nut Dinette was built at 628 S. Washington St., however, it was demolished a few years later to make room for construction of the Suburban Drive-In. 

The Do-Nut Dinette seen in this photograph was constructed at 4121 Mt. Vernon Ave. and opened in 1953. Like most other Do-Nut Dinettes, it had an ornamental sign on the roof directly above the front door in the shape of a doughnut, a design patented in 1948 by its creator. Inside signs advertised breakfast and lunch items, including two golden crisp doughnuts and coffee for 15 cents. 

Visible through the window in this image is a tent advertising Pony Rides. In the 1950s, a small pony ring operated to the north, as did a miniature golf and driving range. Positioned very close to Four Mile Run, the Do-Nut Dinette and other businesses were severely impacted by flooding when the run overflowed its banks during severe storms. 

After the Do-Nut Dinette closed down, the building was still used as a restaurant in the 1970s and 1980s. Most recently, it was home to a check-cashing business. In 2007, as part of a plan to expand Four Mile Run Park, the City of Alexandria purchased it and other adjacent buildings and later demolished it.

instagram
Facebooktwittermail