Suzi Laboy speaks out after grand jury indicts man accused of shooting her husband

Suzi Laboy speaks out after grand jury indicts man accused of shooting her husband

By Melissa Quinn

As police officer Peter Laboy continues along the long road to recovery, the man accused of leaving him gravely injured was indicted on multiple charges by a grand jury Monday.

Kashif Bashir, 27, faces charges of aggravated malicious wounding, attempted capital murder of a law enforcement officer and two counts of using of a firearm in the commission of a felony. Commonwealth’s Attorney Randy Sengel, whose office is prosecuting the case, expects him to stand trial in the coming months.

The Pakistani national and Woodbridge resident allegedly shot Peter Laboy in the head during a traffic stop in February. Bashir, who was driving an Alexandria Yellow Cab, then led police on a high-speed chase across city limits.

The pursuit ended when Bashir collided with another car on Fort Hunt Road in Fairfax County.

Peter Laboy, who was approaching Bashir’s vehicle at the intersection of South St. Asaph and Wilkes streets when the gunshot rang out, was flown to MedStar Washington Hospital with a traumatic brain injury.

Speaking to reporters Tuesday, Suzi Laboy described her husband’s recovery as stunning.

“I definitely think it’s a miracle,” she said at a press conference Tuesday. “It definitely was not his time to go.”

Though she had not previously spoken to the press, Suzi Laboy documented her husband’s treatment for the community through a blog on, where she described her husband as nothing less than Superman.

“He’s a fighter; he’s a winner. He loves a challenge and he hates to lose,” Suzi Laboy said. “I think that has also helped carry him through this … the determination.”

Following an initial surgery several months ago, Peter Laboy went under the knife again May 8 and stayed in the hospital for several days. He has since returned home, and he and his family are anxiously awaiting the go-ahead for another seven weeks of aggressive, daily rehabilitation, Suzi Laboy said.

The whole rehabilitation process, she said, will last between nine and 12 months.

“Every day is a different day,” Suzi Laboy said. “Right now we’re sort of at a standstill until he gets back into rehab. … The thing about a traumatic brain injury is that you can’t really say what he’s going to be like in a year.”

The moment she knew he was going to recover came when the veteran officer was still in the hospital. Suzi Laboy watched his face light up at the sight of the couple’s children — ages 4, 6, 13 and 14 — and stroke their hair.

“That was very important for all of them,” she said.

As for the man accused of wounding her husband, Suzi Laboy doesn’t have any words for him. The maximum sentence Bashir faces is life in prison.

Suzi Laboy is confident her husband will be out and about again and, hopefully, riding for the police department.

“You will see him out in public,” Suzi Laboy said. “It’s hard to hold him in. … He’s my husband, but he’s your police officer. He’s their police officer and Alexandria’s police officer.”