By Liana Hardy | [email protected]
The George Washington High School Alumni Association will dedicate a Virginia Historical Marker on the front campus of the former high school, which is now George Washington Middle School, on Saturday at 11 a.m.
The marker will commemorate the history of the high school, which opened in 1935 and operated until 1971, and its historical significance to the City of Alexandria.
The four-year high school changed to a junior high school with grades 7–9 in 1979, and subsequently became a middle school with grades 6–8 in 1993.
In the event of heavy rain, the ceremony will be moved to Sunday at 11 a.m. Admission is free and more ceremony information can be obtained from Bud Mayo at [email protected] or 703-389-1505.